Font Size:

Keyword Index Alphabet Soup Site Map Contact Us

Public Authority for In-Home Supportive Services

PA_IHSSMonterey County
Public Authority Registry
"Making Connections that Help"

What is the Public Authority Registry?
The Public Authority is an agency established to operate a Registry of providers willing to work for IHSS consumers. The Public Authority assists with matching consumer need to Individual Provider (IP) experience and task preference. Services provided by the Registry assist people who need help with daily activities with the aim of helping them to remain safely in their own homes.

Public Authority Provider Handbook

Provider Application    Provider Update

Our mission at the Registry is to:

  • Assist those who need care in their own homes to be empowered to live safely and with dignity
  • Support IPs in providing that care for Consumers
  • Provide IPs and their consumers with support, information, and mediation

Finding a Job as an In-Home Care Provider

The Public Authority Registry is a program that brings together people who need care in their own homes with IPs who want to provide that care. The Public Authority Registry can help put IPs in touch with individuals who are disabled and/or elderly and need help to live safely in their homes. IPs can help consumers in many important ways, including:

  • Preparing meals and feeding
  • Keeping the house clean
  • Bathing and dressing
  • Shopping and laundry
  • Assisting with personal care

Although IP paychecks come from the State of California, the consumer they are providing the care to is their employer and is responsible for hiring, training, supervising and – if need be – firing their IP. In short, an IP can become a trusted and very important partner in allowing the consumer who hires them to live independently in their own home. One year of experience in providing in-home care is required to be an IP. Volunteer work as a caregiver and caring for family members counts! This is an excellent opportunity for individuals to learn new skills and gain experience in the care-giving profession.

Steps Needed for an IP to Join the Registry

To join the Public Authority Registry, a potential IP must successfully complete the following steps:

  • Complete the on-line Registry application
  • Provide two (2) job or personal references
  • Submit fingerprints to livescan (IP pays for the cost of fingerprinting, about $45 to 60)
  • Complete REVA (see the MCDSS webpage for more information about REVA)

As an IP, you will be eligible, after working 80 hours for a consecutive 4 months, to be enrolled in health insurance with 100% coverage. Monterey County Public Authority invites all eligible IPs to enroll in the health plan through the Alliance Health Care. The premium, which is just $15 a month, allows IPs to access full medical coverage when needed.

Another benefit of working for the Registry is being able to update your work availability 24 hours a day. With the online Registry update button, you can enter your work preference days and times, geographic areas, change of name, address or telephone, any time you need to. This will allow the Registry to maintain up-to-date information about IP work availability, and make the best match between consumers and IPs.

Thank you for your interest in applying as a provider for the In-Home-Supportive-Services (IHSS) Public Authority Registry. The first step in becoming a provider is to complete the Provider Enrollment process by going to and look for REVA (on-line Orientation). If you need assistance with the REVA please call 831-755-4466. If you have a client that you are planning to work for and DO NOT want to be referred to other clients you DO NOT need to complete this application. If you are interested in working for other clients please complete this application after you have received your “Welcome” letter as an IHSS provider when the enrollment process has been completed.

If your client is wanting you to be a paid provider but is not receiving In Home Supportive Services, then do not complete this application but please contact the information and referral social worker at 831 755-4466.

ˆ back to top